UNITED NATIONS COMMAND - KOREA (UNC- K)Australian Deployment Dates: 1 July 1950 to 19 April 1956
Strength: Approximately 17,000. Deployment included one Aircraft Carrier (HMAS Sydney), two destroyers, two Infantry Battalions with supporting arms and services, and a RAAF fighter squadron with supporting services.
Area of Operations (AO): Korea and in some cases Japan.
Purpose: UNC-K was the UN's first peace restoration (peacemaking) operation. The operation was in response to the North Korean invasion of South Korea in an attempt to force re-unification of the peninsula. An armistice was concluded in 1953.
Comments: Australia's largest combined service operation since the Second World War.
Veteran Entitlement Act (VEA): Schedule 2; 1 July 1950 to 27 July 1953. Schedule 3; 28 July 1953 to 26 Aug 1957.
Service Type: Warlike (1 July 1950 to 27 July 1953) and Non-warlike (28 July 1953 - 26 August 1957).
Gazette: S54 of 10 Feb 98 and S102 of 27 Mar 01
Awards & Qualifying Periods:
The ships and units which were awarded the South Korean Presidential Unit Citation are; HMAS ANZAC, HMAS BATAAN, HMAS CONDAMINE, HMAS CULGOA, HMAS MURCHISON, HMAS SHOALHAVEN, HMAS SYDNEY including 805 Squadron, 808 Squadron, 815 Squadron, HMAS TOBRUK, HMAS WARRAMUNGA and 77 SQN (RAAF).
- Australian Active Service Medal (AASM) (1945-1975) with Clasp “KOREA” (1 July 1950 to 27 July 1953). Posted - 1 day; Visitor / TDY - N/A.
- Australian Service Medal (ASM) (1945-1975) with Clasp “KOREA” (28 July 1953 - 26 August 1957). Posted - 30 days; Vistor / TDY - N/A.
- British Commonwealth Korea War Medal. 1 July 1950 to 27 July 1953. Posted - 1 day; Visitor / TDY - 30 days. Service excluded - Anywhere outside Korea or Korean waters.
- United Nations Medal with Clasp “KOREA”. 27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953. UN force assigned - 1 Day; Non UN force assigned - 30 days.
- Army Combat Badge. Awarded for 90 days service to the 1 RAR, 2 RAR and 3 RAR Batallion Groups.
- The US Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR), for their heroism in the battle of KAPYONG.
- The South Korean Presidential Unit Citation was awarded by the South Korean Government to the RAN in recognition of those ships involved with the US 7th Fleet on 27 July 1953, and to 77 Squadron RAAF on 1 November 1951. In both cases, the citations were officially accepted. However, as part of a modified agreement with the Commander-in-Chief, British Commonwealth Forces Japan and Korea, approval by the Queen for those eligible to wear the accompanying emblem was not pursued at that time. The Governor-General, under delegated powers from the Queen, approved the wearing of the Citations in 1998.
Wounded: Approximately 1,200
Army Combat Badge
AASM 45-75 ASM 45-75 British Commonwealth
Korea War Medal
UN Korea Medal United States Presidential Unit Citation South Korean Presidential Unit Citation