ADF CONTRIBUTION TO THE SPECIAL POLITICAL MISSION TO THE UN OFFICE ASSISTING THE TIMOR-LESTE GOVERNMENTOperation CHIRON / Defence Cooperation Program
Australia: 20 May 2005 – 11 May 2006
AO: East Timor.
Operation CHIRON was the ADF contribution to the UN Special Political Mission to Timor-Leste.
History: The UN Security Council ceased peacekeeping operations early in 2005 in Timor-Leste. In its' place a special political mission to the UN office was established to assist the Timor-Leste Government under the ADF's regional Defence Cooperation Program (DCP). The DCP operated as an Australian regional engagement initiative to assist the development of the Timor-Leste Defence Force through military training, advice and support.
The ADF contributed to the on-going United Nations (UN) mission through the provision of direct support to the Timorese Defence Force under the ADF's regional Defence Cooperation Program (DCP). This mission included 15 military officers from contributing nations.
Deployed: The ADF provided four military advisers to Timor-Leste to support this Program.
The DCP conducted a range of activities and projects with the Timor-Leste Defence Force, embracing training and advisory roles such as:
• English language instruction to prepare military personnel for further military education and training opportunities
• Leadership training, development and skills enhancement for junior military personnel
• Higher-level staff training in the areas of command, leadership and discipline and military planning, logistics and administration
• Communications, equipment and management training to support the military command network
• Senior level secretariat and military advice, including capability and force development, military doctrine, financial, communications and finance and budget coordination advice
A major Australian contribution under the Program was the $7.5 million construction of a training centre for the Timor-Leste Defence Force at Metinaro.
MRCA: Military Rehabilitation Compensation Act 2004 – Non-warlike Service.
Awards: Australian Service Medal (ASM) with Clasp 'TIMOR-LESTE' ; UNMIT Medal. The UNMIT fact sheet can be found here: UNMIT factsheet
ASM with Clasp 'TIMOR-LESTE'